World Smile Day is celebrated on the first Friday in the month of October every year. The idea of World Smile Day was coined and initiated by Harvey Ball, a commercial artist from Worcester, Massachusetts. Harvey Ball is known to have created the Smiley Face in 1963. The World’s first World Smile Day was held in the year 1999 and has been held annually since.
After Harvey died in 2001, the “Harvey Ball World Smile Foundation” was created to honour his name and memory. The slogan of the Smile Foundation is “improving this world, one smile at a time.” The Foundation continues as the official sponsor of World Smile Day each year.
The message of the World Smile Day 2010 is “Do an act of kindness. Help one person smile.”
Source : Wikipedia / Read More: WorldSmileDay
Wages shrink like an over-cooked tart.
At a time when desserts are trademarked and bespoke wedding cakes come at a premium, it’s not surprise that the demand for pastry chefs is rising faster than dough in the oven.
But while the job market for Americans trained in dessert making the is best it has ever been, aspiring pastry chefs are finding that their dreams of good wages are crumbling like overly dry crust.
Many restaurants “have adopted some variation of the Shields’s strategy,” by using young, fresh-out-of culinary art school students for pastry chef roles, the Times writes.
Read more : TIME.com
At the Museum of Chinese in America, an exhibition on Chinese food and identity.
There’s a new exhibition opening today at the Museum of Chinese in America. It’s Sour, Sweet, Bitter, Spicy: Stories of Chinese Food and Identity in America.
The heart of the show is a video installation that tells the stories of more than 30 Asian-American chefs and food entrepreneurs. The curators have set up several large video monitors around a huge table adorned with custom ceramic sculptures.
There was a press preview yesterday morning. The museum explains:
Sour, Sweet, Bitter, Spicy invites the audience into a conversation about the meaning of Chinese food as a platform for experimentation, a test of authenticity, a means of immigrant survival, and a microcosm of Chinese culture. Following on the success of MOCA’s 2004 exhibit Have You Eaten Yet?, this new exhibit Sour, Sweet, Bitter, Spicy dives deep into individual journeys, exploring how food represents a cultural form of expression and identity heavily influenced by life experiences and geographical landscapes. The exhibit weaves together the complex stories through a dynamic video installation featuring pioneering chefs such as Cecilia Chiang, Ken Hom, Anita Lo, Ming Tsai, and Martin Yan; new restaurateurs like Peter Chang, Vivian Ku, and Danny Bowien; and persevering home cooks like Biying Ni, Yvette Lee and Ho-chin Yang.
Read more : TheLodownny.com
European Dining Restaurant Le Bon Vivant ~ Executive Chef
Greetings from Jakarta
Looking to hire an Executive Chef for their European Dining Restaurant Le Bon Vivant in Bali Indonesia
The Ideal Candidate should have strong experience in European Free Standing Restaurants and must be Hands On in the operation. Very Less admin to be done.
In terms of Nationality and Married Status and Salary the Owner is extremely open-minded for the right Candidate and all can be negotiated.
The Starting Date should be as soon as possible.
This is good opportunity for a chef who wants to make his name in Bali as the Culinary Scene is improving to high levels.
Everyone is interested shall send their CV to email@example.com
European Dining Restaurant Le Bon Vivant
Jl. Danau Tamblingan No. 156, Sanur, Bali, Indonesia
p. +62 361 283 817 / +62 361 282 892
More Info : www.lebonvivant.co.id
7 Gold Bar Sdn Bhd ~ Non-Halal Executive Chef
I’m looking for a head chef at my non-halal restaurant, the cuisine we’re aiming would be something similar to Social where there’s a western section, local, Chinese and Indian. Basically Malaysian fusion for a 100 pax seater restaurant.
Depending on the experience, we’re willing to pay a minimum of RM4,000.
Is there a forum or somewhere where I can advertise? Please let me know. Thank you.
7 Gold Bar Sdn Bhd
P-01-17 & 18 Tropicana Avenue
12 Persiaran Tropicana
47400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
About : 7 Gold Bar Sdn Bhd : A Western, non-halal restaurant that offers drinks for everyone! From craft beer, fine wines to s!
Our mission is to give people a good value and service so they leave our place feeling contented!
We’re rather easy going but we do need good work ethinics, if you’re new we can train but make sure you don’t leave once you’ve learnt it all.
We also need outgoing friendly people who aren’t afraid to mingle with our customers, so with that conversational English is a must, PLUS good manners and ‘intelligence’.
We’re situated at Tropicana Avenue! Please apply online or give us a ring at +60122412317.
Be a part of our thirsty club!
Executive Chef for New Private Membership Club in Singapore
A new private membership club will be opening its doors in Singapore in Q3 2017. The founders are currently on the search for a talented, passionate, and experienced Executive Chef to join the club’s starting Senior Management Team.
The club will be called Straits Clan and has been founded by experienced players in Singapore’s hospitality and F&B industries, including the founders of the Lo & Behold Group and Unlisted Collection.
Straits Clan is being marketed as such: Straits Clan is a new private community for the inspiring and the inspired. It is a network of creatives, makers, doers, dreamers, entrepreneurs, activists, high achievers and iconoclasts.
The clubhouse is being built in a 22,000sqf heritage building in Chinatown.
There will be 3 main F&B outlets in the clubhouse, plus additional bars. The F&B outlets include a cafe & lounge; a signature restaurant serving Modern Asian, produce-driven fare; and a gastropub focusing on local and Southeast Asian food. There will also be other services, including gym, spa, events hall, etc.
The Executive Chef role is responsible for leading the culinary team & managing all aspects of culinary functions in accordance to the Club’s standards and procedures to exceed members, guests and associates expectations.
- Lead and manage the culinary team to plan, prepare and serve food to our members and guests according to the concept and set standard.
- Implement and drive Forbes Standards.
- Direct and co-ordinate all food preparation and production activities in the kitchens.
- Lead and manage the culinary team to review and improvise regularly on work process and food quality to achieve optimal productivity and standards according to the set target.
- Proactively engage members and guests for feedback and improvements in all outlets within the Club.
- Engage members, guests and associates inquiries (including but not limited to food complaints) in a professional manner immediately with the highest standard in problem resolution.
- Embrace and implement new technology and processes to exceed productivity and standards whenever possible.
- Implement and enforce local and related rules and regulations concerning fire, food safety (HACCP) and health & safety.
- Maintain operating costs to ensure profitability while exceeding member and guest satisfaction. This includes Purchasing (operating goods and equipment), maintenance, utilities and payroll.
- Evaluate food products and collaborate with food supplying partners to ensure that quality standards are consistently attained through the acquisition of the highest quality ingredients and products.
- Proactively be aware and updated with changes in trends and preferences and adjust accordingly whenever feasible and necessary. This include both the market and operation.
- Ensure that all materials and equipment are used correctly and safely in the kitchens.
- Conduct monthly food and kitchen equipment inventory. Executive Chef 2
- Develop effective and efficient schedules to ensure sufficient staffing for optimal production and service.
- Develop and update menus accordingly to market demands and trends in all outlets within the Club.
- Conduct regular food tastings and feedback.
- Recommend and advise Senior Management on established goals, objectives and policies relating to the activities of all kitchens.
- Maintain grooming standards of the culinary team.
Finance & Administration
- Attend and contribute in all required meetings and project teams.
- Develop, implement and revise Standard Operating Procedures, Guidelines, Recipes and Plating Guides.
- Co-develop annual business plan / marketing plan with the General Manager and Marketing team.
- Co-develop and participate in partnership programmes with various festivals and events that elevates the Club’s profile and financial standing.
- Co-develop and achieve departmental budget and forecasts and capital expenditure plans.
- Recruit, select, drive and develop the culinary team.
- Supervise culinary team in the performance of their duties in accordance with the policies and procedures and applicable laws.
- Delegate appropriate duties and responsibilities to the team with sufficient resources and equipment.
- Serve as a role model and nurture and develop the team.
- Maintain a safe working environment.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Identify and develop high performers for career succession in the organization.
- Contribute to make the Club as the preferred hospitality workplace in Singapore.
- Advise on operational issues, operational priorities, financial planning, budgeting, and internal control matters.
- Absolute level of integrity
- Proactive and innovative leader with can-do attitude Executive Chef 3
- Self-motivated and driven, capable in handling multi-unit operations
- Hands-on approach
- Capable in guest (Front of House) engagement
- Creative with strong attention to details
- Flexible working hours to accommodate operations requirement
- Understand and respect the complex local culture
- Ability to adapt to constant market changes and work environment
Skills & Work Experience
- Minimum 10 years of culinary experience with 4 years as Chef de Cuisine and above in a large operation
- Minimum of 4 years International Experience is preferred
- Experience in both international hotels and independent operations is an advantage
- Experience with Western and Asian Cuisine
- Experience with various F&B operation, Full Service Restaurant, QSR, Banquet and Bar
- Knowledge in statutory legislation in associate and industrial relations
- Knowledge in local regulations and policies regarding fire, hygiene (HACCP), health & safety
Interested candidates should forward their CV directly to Mr. Aun Koh at firstname.lastname@example.org
More updates coming soon. Let’s gear-up.
At Blackberry Farm, smoked chicken broth is embellished with grits, cracklings, peanuts and yes, an egg.
Powered by WPeMatico
SFMoMA’s new restaurant opens this week, offering recreations of some of the world’s best dishes.
Powered by WPeMatico